Listed buildings and structures
Listing allows Historic England to highlight what is significant about a building or site, and helps to make sure that any future changes to it do not result in the loss of its significance. Below are the listings, descriptions and photos (where published) from the Historic England website.
Listed within the Conservation Area
JESSOPS, 15, HORSHAM LANE, TAMERTON FOLIOT
Village house. Early/mid C19. Slatehanging on rubble to front, otherwise local rubble with shallow segmental brick arches; dry slate roof, hipped on the right; rendered stacks at either end of original house. Double-depth plan including heightened rear lean-to of original house plus single-depth extension on the right of later C19 date. 2 storeys; overall 4-window range: symmetrical 3-window front of original house plus 1-window range extension on the right. Original part has original 12-pane hornless sashes and central doorway within small C20 glazed porch; extension has late C19 4-pane horned sashes. Right-hand return is 1-window range with blocked doorway on the left and doorway at far right with early C19 door with incised decoration.
K6 TELEPHONE KIOSK, WHITSON CROSS LANE
CRESSY COTTAGE, WHITSONCROSS LANE
Detached village house. C18 and extended slightly later. Painted rubble walls and mostly wooden lintels; asbestos slate hipped roof; rendered end stack on the left and axial stack over original end wall (later the cross wall) towards right. Single-depth plan of 2 rooms flanking a central entrance hall, later extended with 1-room-plan wing on the right and wing of similar size at right angles to rear left. 2 storeys; 3:1-window range. Late C19 4-pane horned sash to ground-floor left, otherwise C20 horned sashes with glazing bars. Doorway under 2nd window from left has old panelled door with flush bottom panels, top 4 panels later glazed.
LOUDS, OLD WARLEIGH LANE
Farmhouse. C17 or C18. Local rubble walls and timber lintels; steep dry slate roof plus outshut at rear; brick end stack on left. Single-depth plan plus later outshut. 2 storeys; 3:1-window range, the 3-window part symmetrical with central doorway. Late C19 or C20 2-light casement windows with horizontal glazing bars; glazed door under gabled hood.
MILFORD HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS
Small country house. Early C19. slatehanging to front, otherwise incised stucco; dry slate hipped roof with modillions to fascia; rendered end stacks. Double-depth plan plus small service wing at rear left. 2 storeys; 3-window range with no front doorway. Late C19 or C20 sashes, most with glazing bars. Right-hand return has central glazed lean-to porch and original 6-panel door. INTERIOR: not inspected but likely to be of interest. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached rubble walls to road frontage at rear.
BROOK HOUSE, LAMBERT COTTAGE AND STOKE COTTAGE
Terrace of 3 houses. Datestone 1805 on Brook House. Incised stucco to Brook House (left); slatehanging to 1st floor of gable end on left, plus painted rubble rear wing; the others are rendered; steep slate half-hipped roof with 3 hipped dormers and 3 brick axial stacks aligned with ridge; cast-iron gutters, rainwater heads and downpipes. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys; overall 6-window range. Brook House has late C19 2-light casements with margin panes on the left and similar single-light window over doorway with 6-panel door with fielded panels on the right; moulded mid-floor string. Lambert Cottage (centre) has C20 tripartite horned sashes with glazing bars, on the left, and old 12-pane hornless sash over possibly original 4-panel door with flush panels, on the right. Stoke Cottage has C20 copy horned sash with glazing bars, on the left, over original 16-pane hornless sash, and blind window over C20 door on the right.
MILESTONE AT THE JUNCTION OF FORE STREET AND STATION ROAD
GV II Milestone. Early C19. Dressed stone monolith, rectangular on plan with rounded corners at the head and with incised inscription to the front. Inscription: “T VII over P & D VI.” The milestone has been relocated to its current location sometime after it was listed in 1998.
SEVEN STARS PUBLIC HOUSE
Public house. C17. Rough-cast render on probable rubble and cob; steep dry slate roof with half hip on the right; rendered end stacks and rear lateral stack. 3-room and through-passage plan plus slightly later wing at rear left and wing later extended further to rear. 2 storeys; irregular 3-window range. C19 2 and 3-light casements with horizontal glazing bars. Doorway within small gabled wooden porch towards left; original studded oak door. INTERIOR: has C17 or early C18 wooden newel stair towards left at rear to give access at junction between the main house and the wing. Roof structure not inspected but likely to be original and of interest.
WEST PARK HOUSE COTTAGES AND WATERFORD COTTAGE
Row of cottages and former shop. Early C19. Rendered walls except for slatehanging to 1st floor above the shopfront; rag slate roofs including short roof with hipped front and swept valleys to wing with shop; brick axial stacks. Single-depth plan. 2 storeys; 2:3:1-window range. Cross windows with casements and horizontal glazing bars to main range on right and planked doors. The shop wing has 2-light casements to 1st floor and leaded window over leaded window to right-hand return. The old shopfront to right of wing is visible as framing in the wall. There are slender incised pilasters and a 3-light window has been inserted to most of the space formerly occupied by the lights on the left. Doorway under left-hand window has 8-pane overlight and flush-panelled door.
Detached village house. Late C18. Roughcast render to front; slatehanging to end walls; concrete tile roof with low-pitched gable with oculus to the front; rendered end stacks. Single-depth plan with 2 rooms flanking a central entrance hall. 2 storeys plus attic; symmetrical 3-window front. Original tripartite hornless sashes with glazing bars to ground floor, horned copies above and louvred opening above central pedimented and pilastered doorway; original 6-panel door with flush bottom panels and fielded panels.
Detached village house. Late C18, extended probably mid C19. Roughcast rendered walls; dry slate roofs: the roof on left taller and hipped, the other roof with low-pitched central gable with blind oculus; rendered end stacks. Single-depth plan, the original house on the right with room on either side of an entrance hall. 2 storeys; 2:3-window range, the lower part on the right symmetrical with central doorway. Original and mid C19 hornless sashes with glazing bars. The original tripartite ground-floor windows have recessed round-arched panels above. Doorway has round-arched hood on shaped wooden brackets; pilastered doorway, overlight and original fielded panelled door. INTERIOR: has original staircase. Reputedly built as a dower house to Warleigh House (former list description).
GATE PIERS, WALLS AND RAILINGS WEST OF CHURCH OF ST MARY
Churchyard walls and gate-piers. 1887. Limestone brought to course and with limestone dressings including square gate-piers with cruciform gabled caps; low walls as plinth to wrought-iron railings with fleur-de-lys finials. Included for group value.
CHURCH OF ST MARY
Parish church. C15 nave, chancel and tower; S aisle C15 but rebuilt 1851, porch enlarged and chancel and S aisle roofs heightened at same date; C12 and C13 N aisle rebuilt wider 1894-95; serious fire in 1981 but restored since. Local rubble plus volcanic stone and limestone dressings; dry slate roofs with coped gables surmounted by stone finials. PLAN: nave/chancel under one roof; N and S aisles; S porch and W tower. EXTERIOR: 4 x C15 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery to S aisle, similar window to W end and E window restored in the C19. E chancel window has C19 Perpendicular style tracery within a C15 frame. N aisle windows are C19 in Perpendicular style. S porch has chamfered pointed-arched doorway. The corners of the aisles are buttressed. Tall 2-stage embattled tower has corner pinnacles and angle buttresses. There are 2-light traceried windows with louvres to upper stage and clock face to E and W sides. Small square-headed windows to lower stage and pointed-arched W doorway. INTERIOR: plastered walls; 5-bay arcades with standard A (Pevsner) type piers and 4-centred moulded arches, the N piers are granite, the S piers Roborough stone (Pevsner). Nave has waggon roof with C15 carved bosses, similar bosses to S aisle, chancel and N aisle also have waggon roofs. Tower has its original roof with granite ribs. FITTINGS: C15 octagonal granite Perpendicular font decorated with shields; pillar with blank arches; C17 pulpit made up from linenfold panelling and other Renaissance fragments, C19 base incorporating old panels; Royal arms of George III with dates 1671, 1730 and 1810; C18 bells in 1936 iron frame; 1851 pews to nave; tower screen (replacing a gallery) 1888; chancel fittings 1894-95. STAINED GLASS: E window 1865. MONUMENTS: tomb chest with knight and lady to members of the Gorges family, probably C14; ornate wall monument with kneeling figures under a pair of round arches to Sir John Coplestone and his wife Susannah, 1617, repaired and re-erected 1894 and with kneeling children below; alabaster shrouded female statue monument, with flanking female seated figures, to Susannah Calmady who died in 1617; monument to Coplestone Bampfylde who died in 1669; some monuments to the Radcliffes of Warleigh. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-: 679 & 680; Bebbington PS: St Mary’s Church, Tamerton Foliot: Callington: 1981-).
GATE PIERS, WALLS AND RAILINGS EAST OF CHURCH OF ST MARY
Churchyard wall, gate-piers, railings and gates. 1870. Limestone rubble brought to course; dressed stone piers and terminal piers with cruciform gabled caps; wrought-iron railings. Square-on-plan piers; wall curves in on left to run parallel to south of church. Low coped walls as plinth to simple railings with fleur-de-lys finials. Wall on left divided into panels. Included for group value.
WALL WITH LETTERBOX ON OPPOSITE SIDE OF ROAD AND SOUTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST MARY
Boundary wall with letterbox. Probably 1860s. High mixed rubble buttressed wall divided into panels; cast-iron Victorian letterbox set into wall.
1 AND 2, NORTH CANN COTTAGES
House and attached cottage, now 1 house. C18. Local rubble walls with rebuilt section left of centre; dry slate half-hipped roof with many re-used C17 or early C18 crested clay ridge tiles; rendered end stacks and stack over original party wall. Single-depth plan plus wing at right angles to rear centre of house and lean-to at rear of cottage on the left. 2 storeys; 1:3-window range, the 3-window range originally symmetrical and with central doorway, now fitted with window. Other windows are late C19 or C20 2-light casements with glazing bars. Gabled hood over planked door towards left. INTERIOR: not inspected but likely to retain original features of interest.
1 AND 2 CANN COTTAGES
No. 1 and 2 Cann Cottages are designated at grade II for the following principal reasons: * A substantially intact example of a pair of cottages built in 1936, in the Vernacular Revival style, by the nationally important architect William Curtis Green * They retain their interior features including granite fireplaces and doors with iron door furniture which are of good quality displaying good craftsmanship * They are a well-preserved example of Curtis Green’s small scale domestic architecture, and form part of the commissioned buildings for P. D. Tuckett as part of the Cann Estate.
Listed outside the Conservation Area but local
Clittaford Cottage has been designated at grade II for the following principal reasons: * A substantially intact example of a cottage in the Vernacular Revival by the nationally important architect William Curtis Green * It retains its interior features including granite fireplaces and doors with iron door furniture * As a well-preserved example of Curtis Green’s small scale domestic architecture
LIME KILN AT BLAXTON QUAY
Lime kiln, disused. Late C18- early C19. Limestone rubble. Rectangular plan containing 6 half-round chambers. Single storey. Substantial range with battered sides, two evenly spaced round- arched entrances to the front, and smaller arches set in each return. The upper surface from which the 6 kilns were charged is overgrown and inaccessible. INTERIOR: Contains 6 half-round kilns, the end two emptied from the openings in the returns, while the other four open off each side of the large front arches. HISTORY; An unusually large industrial lime kiln for this area, and reported to be the most substantial in the district. It was sited beside the quay to receive coal from S. Wales, as is more common in north Devon and Somerset.
BOAT HOUSE IMMEDIATELY 110 METRES WEST SOUTH WEST OF WARLEIGH HOUSE
Boat house. Circa 1800. Gothick style. Rendered stone rubble. Slate roof with embattled parapets to gable ends, with crosses at the apices. Two centred arch on west end to boat house, at beach level, with Gothick window in gable end above. Gothick doorway in east end to loft at garden level, and with niche above. Gabled loft windows at either side, and north side has small gabled porch.
GARDEN BOUNDARY WALLS IMMEDIATELY SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF WARLEIGH HOUSE
Garden walls. C18. Red brick walls, partly with slate coping, around a rectangular terraced enclosure in front of Warleigh House qv. Plain square gatepiers of brick with moulded brick cornices and simple stone caps.
Country house in use as a nursing home; former seat of the Radcliffes. C16 with earlier stone vaulted cellars under north wing, and refashioned by John Foulston in 1825 to 32 when north-west wing was built. Stone now roughcast with ashlaring. Slate gabled roof. E-shaped on plan with further wings to north and north-west. Two and a half storeys 1:2:1:2:1 bays. Flanking one bay wings and central 3-storeyed porch all gabled. Early C19 sash windows with Gothick square hoodmoulds. Central large moulded granite 4-centred arch doorway with carved spandrels and arms in relief in the tympanum. The inner door also moulded granite with carved spandrels. Moulded lead rainwater heads, downpipes and gutter. Circa 1825-32 north-west wing at rear with embattled parapets and Gothick windows. Long 2-storey, 6-bay rear wing across north side with C16 two and 3-light granite mullion windows with 4-centred arch lights and hoodmoulds, and with moulded granite doorways with carved spandrels. At the east end of this wing is the chapel with C19 Perpendicular traceried window in gable end. Interior: Retains 2-storeyed hall, with wide moulded granite fireplace, but remodelled in C18 with moulded plaster frieze and cornice and wooden balustrade to gallery. Two moulded granite 4-centred arch doorways to screens passage. Wide C18 dogleg staircase from hall with moulded string balusters, moulded handrail ramped up to square newels and fielded panel dado. Staircase well light by circular lantern and with modillion cornice. North-west room has Gothick marble chimneypiece and Gothick cornice. Library in south-east wing has bolection moulded panelling, plaster cornice breaks forward over chimney breast with early C19 chimney piece. Kitchen wing on north-east side has very wide moulded 4-centred arch fireplaces and service doorways, one with old nail-studded door. Reference: Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, pages 318 and 319.
DOVECOTE APPROXIMATELY 80 METRES EAST OF WARLEIGH HOUSE
Dovecote. Circa early C18. Circular on plan. Red brick in roughly Flemish bond on stone rubble plinth. Conical scantle slate roof with wooden lantern also with conical roof and with ball finial with wind vane. Reused moulded granite 4-centred arch doorway with spandrels and old nail-studded door. Interior: has about 500 nesting holes.
BARN APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES SOUTH WEST OF WARLEIGH BARTON
Barn. Circa C17. Stone rubble. Asbestos slate roof with hipped and gabled ends. Long range with opposing cart entrance to right (north) of centre on both sides. The west with gabled extension and lean-to to side. Massive stone buttresses with set-offs. Ventilation slits with internal splays.
Farmhouse. C18 with C19 fenestration and possibly earlier core. Stone rubble. Asbestos slate hipped roof with modillion eave cornice. Double-pile plan. Two storeys. Three window range. Originally 5 window wide, the brick arches to the original windows can be seen over the C19 tripartite sashes which are without glazing bars. Centre first floor single-light sash. Central 4-panel door with C19 or C20 rendered porch. Flanking lean-tos of single-storey with elliptical attic lights. Chimneystacks left and right of centre. Interior: The rear ranges contains large chamfered granite fireplace with straight head.
Railway bridge over the estuary of the River Tavy. Circa 1889-90. Eight spans of iron bowstring braced girders on seven pairs of iron-clad circular piers with pedimental caps. The iron bridge spans the deep-water channel. Either end, over the tidal mud is bridged with a stone viaduct of segmental arches, seven at the south-east end and two at the north-west end. The Plymouth Devonport South-Western Junction Railway Company was formed in 1883 and this line from Lydford to Devonport was opened in 1890. The line was operated by the LSWR which had a small capital holding in the Company. The LSWR eventually took over in 1922.
Railway bridge over Tamerton Lake, a tidal creek at the confluence of the River Tamer and River Tavy. Crosses the boundary between the City of Plymouth and the parish of Bickleigh. Circa 1889-90. Iron pile and girder bridge. Seven spans with pairs of iron-clad circular piers (or piles), with cross-bracing, supporting iron girders with balustrades. The Plymouth Devonport South-Western Junction Railway Company was formed in 1883 and this line from Lydford to Devonport was opened in 1890. The line was operated by the LSWR which has a small capital holding in the Company. The LSWR eventually took over in 1922.
GATE PIERS AND WALLS AT ROAD FRONTAGE TO NUMBER 33 LOOSELEIGH HOUSE
Gate-piers and walls to road frontage of a small country house (qv). C18. Local rubble plus granite moulded and ball finials surmounting gate and terminal piers. The entrance is semicircular on plan, the walls are approx 3m high.
Country house. C18, remodelled 1806 [date on rainwater head] and mid-late C19. Stucco on probable rubble; hipped slate roofs, the front block with balustraded parapet, bellcote over rear range; brick axial stacks. Overall near courtyard plan with U-shaped-plan block at the front, wing extended at lower level to rear left and parallel service range at the rear. 2 storeys; symmetrical 3-window front with quoin strips, moulded strings and architraves. Mid-late C19 canted bays at left and right with 2-pane horned sashes over cruciform casements and single sash over central pilastered porch with moulded cornice and 4-panel door. Venetian stair window at rear of front block. Rear wings are lower and may at least in part survive from the C18 house. INTERIOR: good quality C18 staircase with turned balusters and column newels; fielded-panel doors.